I am a big fan of Soyrizo. It’s a pretty common ingredient down here in San Diego, and is often preferred by meat-eaters to traditional chorizo. Luckily for me, it is also gluten free (or at least the brand I buy is). I love finding new ways to incorporate soyrizo into dishes that would otherwise not have that little spicy kick.
Stuffed bell peppers are traditionally cheesy, saucy and filled with goodness, but the spicy soyrizo filling in these Southwest stuffed peppers really takes it to the next level.
- 8 medium bell peppers
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tube soyrizo (gluten free)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups Colby-Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 425° F
- Wash and cut off top of peppers and remove seeds and spines. Microwave peppers for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Place peppers in oven-safe dish in which they fit snugly together, to keep them from falling over once stuffed.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add seasonings, tomato paste and water. Stir with fork until well combined.
- For the filling, add oil and onions to a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet. Start sauteing on medium-high heat. Cut open soyrizo tube, and empty contents into the pan, breaking up with a spoon or spatula. Saute with onions, stirring occasionally, until soyrizo starts to become crispy. Turn heat to low.
- Add cooked rice, sauce and half of the cheese. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring consistently, until cheese is melted and all ingredients are combined. Turn off heat.
- Using a spoon, scoop filling into peppers, leaving at least a half-inch at the top for cheese. Use remaining cheese to top each pepper.
- Place in oven uncovered and cook for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and starts to bubble.
Buy Ingredients & Kitchen Tools:Soy Chorizo Sausage Tomato Paste Black Beans Steam-in-Bag Instant White Rice
Disclaimer: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I only promote products that I personally use.