Classic Guacamole is an easy and traditional side dish that is healthy, vegan and naturally gluten free. It’s great as a dip, filler for meat free tacos or as a topping. It is popular with little ones and adults alike, and comes together in a snap!
I started making guacamole regularly with my mom as a small child, and it’s something I have continued with my girls. I do all of the chopping at this point, but my girls love to do the mashing and the mixing, and all of the ingredients are taste safe throughout the recipe process! It’s a great recipe to use when introducing kiddos to home cooking and healthy eating.
1 Roma tomato
2 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp lemon juice
4 large avocados
**Recipe Yields about 3 cups**
1. Finely dice tomato and cilantro. Set aside.
2. Halve avocados, removing the pit. Scoop centers into large bowl or plastic food storage container. Chop/mash with a flat wooden spoon or potato masher, leaving some marble sized chunks.
3. Add garlic salt, granulated onion and lemon juice and mix well until seasonings are incorporated throughout.
4. Add in tomato and cilantro, gently mixing until they are evenly distributed throughout guacamole.
5. Eat! If making ahead of time, serve cold, stirring once more before serving. Guacamole will keep covered in the refrigerator for about two days, but always taste best fresh!